USA Triathlon currently has a pool of more than 1,800 certified coaches in the U.S. and internationally. If you are looking to make triathlon coaching your profession or are an athlete looking to give back and continue on in the sport, coaching certification is for you.
What do I need to do to become certified?
For the Level I certification, you must meet certain requirements. All of the following must be completed and/or submitted to USAT prior to certification:
- Current USAT membership —check your status at http://membership.usatriathlon.org
- Level I clinic
- Written examination —Clinic attendees are given a take-home exam. The exam is to be completed by the specified deadline and sent back to the USA Triathlon national office for evaluation. The exam includes multiple choice, short answer, and training plan questions.
- Current CPR certification —American Red Cross or The American Heart Association certifications are preferred for first time certification. AED certifications are not required, but are highly recommended
- Signed USOC Coaching Ethics Code—The United States Olympic Committee (USOC) Coaching Ethics Code is distributed and discussed at the coaching certification clinic. USA Triathlon certified coaches must sign and return the USOC Coaching Ethics Code with the exam.
- Online background check —Your background check must be completed and passed before the clinic starts or you cannot attend the clinic. The cost of the background check is $20 for most U.S. citizens and you will receive more information once you register for a clinic.
What is the cost of attending the Level I clinic?
The Level I clinic costs $525. This cost includes a clinic manual, coaches liability coverage and access to the bimonthly Performance Coaching Newsletter, USAT coaches Yahoo! discussion group and certified coaches sponsorships.
Does my certification expire?
Certified coaches must recertify every two years. Your initial expiration date will depend on the date you attended a clinic, and will be provided to you once you receive your certification.
How do I recertify?
Recertification packets must include:
- A recertification form (Level I, II or III)
- Online background check
- Service to the sport of triathlon documentation —a summary of how you have given back to the sport within the two year period of current certification
- Continuing Education Units (at least 5 from a USAT course found on the CEU Schedule)
- Current USAT annual membership number
- Recertification fee —currently $95
- Signed ethics code agreement
What other certifications are there?
Level I coaches may recertify at the same level, or they may choose to move up to Level II and eventually Level III. There are additional requirements for Level II and Level III certification, including but not limited to a clinic, presentations, letters of recommendation and additional certifications related to triathlon.
There is also a youth and junior coaching certification for coaches who are currently certified as Level I, II or III.