Although any race director can sanction an event with USA Triathlon, certified race directors participate in race management training and receive a discount on sanction fees.
What is Race Director Certification?
Race director certification is a 16-hour education course that generally takes place over two days. Certificates are awarded to race directors who successfully complete the course requirements, and these certificates can later be presented to local permitting agencies, medical and law enforcement personnel and USAT’s insurance company.
What are the course requirements?
Race Directors who currently sanction events with USAT must be in full compliance with all sanction guidelines and pre- and post-race requirements before consideration for certification is allowed. Potential attendees who have not yet sanctioned an event with USAT will be expected to meet all requirements once they sanction an event and will be monitored for compliance along with all other certified race directors. USAT reserves the right to refuse attendance to a RD Certification class or revoke certification privileges based on failure to meet minimum requirements. Race Director Certification is NOT required to sanction an event with USA Triathlon.
Who should take the course?
While the certification course is not mandatory for race directors who sanction their events with USA Triathlon, the program is extremely valuable to both new and seasoned event directors interested in learning the latest in race directing methods, insurance/risk management trends and USAT sanctioning compliance. Certification courses are also an opportunity to network with other race directors from across the country.
How much does certification cost?
The cost is $425 (unless otherwise noted) and includes all course materials.
How many people are in each class?
All classes are limited to 20 participants. If the class reaches the limit, a wait list will be started for that specific class. If cancellations occur, participants will be added to the class in the order they were added to the wait list. Wait lists do not roll over to other courses. To be added to the wait list, email the Multisport Program Manager with the location you wish to attend.
There are a number of benefits associated with race director certification, including:
- A manual of the latest risk management and race directing information available
- Complimentary annual membership to USA Triathlon
- Special access to sponsors
- Special access to online insurance certificate system – insurance certificates can be printed directly from the insurance company's website
- Lower sanction/insurance costs for USAT sanctioning
- Priority consideration for championship event hosting
- Discounted advertising in USA Triathlon Life magazine
Race Director Certification is valid for a two year period. In order to maintain an active status with USAT, each certified race director must meet certain criteria every two years or obtain Level II certification. Currently the criteria to become recertified must be submitted by December 15 of the calendar year in which your certification expires and calls for race directors to:
- Direct a minimum of one USAT-sanctioned event annually; one event for first-time race directors.
- Each USAT sanctioned event must be fully compliant with all sanction requirements, including pre- and post-event deadlines, fees and materials.
- Complete eight hours of USAT-approved education and/or experiential programs.
- RD Symposium
- USAT Officials Clinic
- Partner-offered education such as Active.com free webinars
- Provide community service to the sport. Examples include:
- Serving on a regional or national board
- Participating on a USAT committee
- Volunteering at a USAT sanctioned event
- Teaching a USAT CEU via web or in person.
- Submit a signed copy of USAT Certified RD Code of Ethics.