Team USA was created by USA Triathlon to be a team of age group/amateurs who will best represent the U.S. in world championship events, which attracts the best athletes from more than 50 countries each year in a variety of distances.
How many world championship events are held per year?
There are eight different Team USA teams for each of the different events:
- Short Course (Olympic) triathlon (1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run)
- Long course triathlon (3k swim, 120k bike, 30k run)
- Sprint distance triathlon (750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run)
- Short course duathlon (10K run, 40K bike, 5K run)
- Long course duathlon (18k run, 74k bike, 9k run)
- Aquathlon (2.5K run, 1K swim, and 2.5K run)
- Cross (Off-Road) Triathlon (distances based on the location- disciplines: swim, mountain bike, trail run)
- Winter triathlon (distances based on the location - disciplines: trail run, mountain bike, cross country ski)
Some of these events are held at the same location, whereas others, such as off-road triathlon and winter triathlon, are held independently from any other championship.
How do I qualify for Team USA?
To be a member of Team USA, athletes will need to be at least 18 years old on Dec. 31 of the competition year, and will need to be a U.S. citizen or U.S. national (someone who has resided in the U.S. for three consecutive years and has not competed for their country of citizenship in the last year). Team USA members must also have a valid USAT annual membership on the day of competition.
Each world championship event has its own qualification standards. The qualifications for the upcoming world championships can be found here on the qualifications page.
If you win your age group at a world championship, you automatically qualify for that same race the following year. All members of Team USA automatically qualify for nationals the following year.
How many athletes are on Team USA?
Depending on the event, there are 18-20 athletes per age group. Athletes range in age from 18 to 90.
What is the cost of being a Team USA member?
All athletes are required to pay a $50 non-refundable deposit per event. This fee helps fund support staff for the world championship event. The cost of the actual event is usually between $150-400, depending on the race. Individuals are responsible for their own expenses, including flight, hotel, food, bike transportation, etc.
Athletes are also required to purchase a Team USA clothing package, which contains the competitive gear they need to be properly uniformed for the event.
What are the benefits of being on Team USA?
USA Triathlon provides a number of benefits to members of Team USA, including:
- Travel packages, which include airport/hotel transfers, bicycle transportation at destination, lodging and other benefits. These packages allow athletes to travel as part of the team.
- Insurance through the U.S. Olympic Committee under the foreign assistance program
- A support team, including a Team USA manager, doctor, chiropractor and mechanic.
- The opportunity to network with athletes from across the U.S. and the world
- Access to sponsor discounts especially for Team USA athletes