The Level II clinic is designed to prepare coaches to work with developing elite and junior ITU level athletes. The course focuses on specific ITU style race requirements for athletes and covers performance based nutrition, mental skills, key components of training plans and specific workouts in all three disciplines as well as recovery techniques, ITU and World Ranking points systems and much more. This three-and-a-half-day course requires coaches to demonstrate hands-on coaching skills, ATP presentation knowledge and a high level of comprehension of high performance short course race preparation and execution.
Application Available Date
January 26-29, 2015
Colorado Springs, CO
Applications are currently being accepted until Wednesday, November 19, 2014. Instructions on how to complete the application can be found here. For any questions, please contact the Coach Development Senior Manager.
The clinic fee is $655 and includes lunch and snacks on days 1-3 and snacks on day 4. It does not include lodging, any travel expenses, or the background check fee.
Level II Coach Applicant Requirements
Prior to certification, candidate must complete and/or submit the following:
- Minimim two years of Level I Certification
- Level II Clinic
- Oral Presentation
- Online Examination
- CPR or AED Certification
- USOC Ethics Code Agreement
- Online Background Check
- Current USA Triathlon Membership
- Athlete Letter of Recommendation
- Mentor Coach Letter of Recommendation
- Brief History of 2 Years of Coaching Experience after USAT Level I Certification
- Current Athlete ATP
- One of the Following:
1. BA or BS degree in sport science or related field (preferred)
2. Certification with relevance to triathlon (ACSM, USAC Level I or II, ASCA, USATF, NSCA or NASM)
- The applicant must have annual service to USA Triathlon or educational contributions to the sport of triathlon (service during a USA Triathlon camp or clinic, contributions to the USA Triathlon coaching certification program or various related USAT programs).
- The applicant must explain the status of an athlete, state two to three objectives for that athlete, explain what was done as a coach to address those objectives, and explain the results that were accomplished with that athlete.
- Selected candidates complete a phone interview as part of the application process.
Level II Clinic Procedures
There is a checklist that is used to score each candidate on the pool deck, for the run coaching session, as well as on the final presentation. Every candidate must score 80% on each component in order to be eligible for LII certification along with passing the exam with a score of 80%.
If a candidate does not meet the above criteria, the following occurs:
- The candidate has failed the course.
- USAT discusses the areas that the candidate needs to improve, and the Coach Development Senior Manager discusses those areas with the candidate.
- The Coach Development Senior Manager recommends webinars, books, CEUs and other areas that can help improve the candidates skills.
- The Coach Development Senior Manager recommends that the candidate attend the Elite Mentorship Program prior to applying for a future Level II clinic.
- The candidate must wait at least 12 months to apply for a future Level II clinic. Acceptance into or passing of a future Level II clinic is not guaranteed.
The clinic fee is $655 and includes lunch and snacks on days 1-3 and snacks on day 4. It does not include lodging, any travel expenses or the background check fee.
Cancellation on registration day to 8 weeks prior to the first day of the clinic: $25 Penalty
Cancellation on or after 8 weeks prior to the first day of the clinic: $50 Penalty
Cancellation on or after 6 weeks prior to the first day of the clinic: $150 Penalty
Cancellation on or after 4 weeks prior to the first day of the clinic: NO REFUNDS AND NO EXCEPTIONS