Certified coaches must recertify every two years in order to remain informed on the latest knowledge and expertise and to provide service and support for developing USA Triathlon coaching programs and triathlon in general. Recertification also provides an accountability for maintenance of the coaching certification.
USA Triathlon Certified Coaches must submit their recertification packets by their certification expiration date. Coaches who do not submit recertification materials by their expiration date are not eligible for recertification under the normal recertification policy. Please see the bottom of this page for the late recertification policies. If you have any questions regarding the recertification policy, please contact the Coaching Certification Coordinator.
In order to recertify, coaches must complete:
- Online Background Check (policies and criteria)
- Respect in Sport and Activity Leader Program (3 USAT CEUs)
- Service to the Sport Documentation
- 20 Continuing Education Units - 5 must be USAT Approved
- Current USAT Annual Membership
- In-Person CPR
- $95 Recertification Fee
- Signed Ethics Code Agreement
All Level III coaches must select three of the following six options for recertification:
- Present a Webinar (unpaid)
- Contribute a Newsletter Article for Performance Coaching (unpaid)
- Host a CEU Clinic (paid)
- Present at a Coaching Clinic (paid)
- Help with a Junior Camp or Clinic (paid or unpaid)
- Propose Your Own (must be approved by the Coach Development Manager)
Late Recertification Policy
Late recertification submitted January 1 - March 31, 2014: A $50 late fee is required (in addition to $95 recertification fee and recertification requirements fulfilled) to be reinstated as current.
Late recertification submitted after April 1, 2014: Coaches must complete 5 more USAT approved Continuing Education Credits on top of their already required amount. In addition, coaches must pay the late fee and complete all the regular recertification requirements.