Upcoming USAT Events
What is Race Director Certification?
Race director certification is a 16-hour education course that generally takes place over two days. The culmination is the awarding of certificates to race directors who successfully complete the course requirements. This course will address the latest in race directing methods, insurance/risk management trends, and USAT sanctioning compliance. While the certification course is not mandatory for race directors who sanction their events with USA Triathlon, the program is extremely valuable to both new and seasoned event directors.
The following are some highlights of the many benefits of the program:
- The latest risk management and race directing information available, presented to you in a manual, along with the opportunity to network with other race directors from around the country.
- Discussion time throughout the course will allow you to talk to other event directors and share experiences you all have.
- Complimentary Annual Membership to USA Triathlon – only Certified Race Directors have access to this free membership.
- Special access to sponsors – we are continually working with the marketing department to provide additional sponsorship opportunities available only to certified directors. Current purchase program deals available to Certified RDs: Polar Bottle, Garmin, Bluff City Sports, One Million Revolutions.
- Special access to online insurance certificate system – insurance certificates can be printed directly from the insurance company's website.
- Lower sanction/insurance costs for USAT sanctioning – Certifying race directors will keep our insurance premiums low and thus the cost of sanctioning for all certified race directors.
- Certified Race Directors receive a sanction fee discount.
- Priority consideration for championship event hosting.
- Discounted Advertising in USA Triathlon magazine.
A directory of all Certified Race Directors can be found here in the Certified Race Director database.
Race Directors who currently sanction events with USAT must be in full compliance with all sanction guidelines and pre- and post-race requirements before consideration for certification is allowed. Potential attendees who have not yet sanctioned an event with USAT will be expected to meet all requirements once they sanction an event and will be monitored for compliance along with all other Certified Race Directors. USAT reserves the right to refuse attendance to a RD Certification class or revoke certification privileges based on failure to meet minimum requirements. Race Director Certification is NOT required to sanction an event with USA Triathlon.
A listing of all upcoming and past RD Certification courses can be found on the course listings page. Courses are posted as they are confirmed.
If a Race Director Certification class reaches its participant limit of 20, a wait list will be started for that specific class. To be added to the wait list, email Meg Weagley and indicate the location that you wish to attend. If cancellations occur, participants will be added to the class in the order they were added to the wait list. The wait list does NOT roll over to subsequent courses.
Continuing Education Opportunities
USA Triathlon provides certain continuing education opportunities for Certified Race Directors. View the full list of opportunities here.
Other Important Information
What does a typical class schedule look like? View a sample here.
Questions about these educational opportunities, cancellation and refund policies, and any other inquiries should be directed to Meg Weagley.
This information is updated as we confirm additional certification opportunities. For information on cancellations, refunds, and other policies in place for these programs, please email Meg Weagley.