To maintain an active certification status with USAT, each Certified Race Director must either become recertified or obtain a Level 2 Certification. In order to obtain Level 2 Race Director Certification the following criteria must be met. See below for details on each item.
**Current Level 2 Race Directors must meet the recertification requirements outlined below, with the exception of the exam, in order to maintain a Level 2 status.**
- Longevity – Two years in the program supported by directing a minimum of one USAT sanctioned event annually; one event for first-time directors.
- Sanction Compliance – Each USAT sanctioned event must be fully compliant with all sanction requirements, including pre- and post-event deadlines, fees and materials.
- Continuing Education – 15 hours of USAT approved education and/or experiential programs. Five (5) of the required units must be USAT approved or Business or Sport Management events (next item).
- Business or Sport Management Education/Experience – USAT RD Symposium, Running USA Conference, or NRPA Conference attendance, among other options OR business practices expertise-service provider specific to multisport.
- Community Service to Multisport – Working as a USAT Official, hosting or participating in a USAT Ambassador program, volunteer support at a USAT sanctioned event or teaching a USAT CEU via web or in person are some examples.
- USA Triathlon Support – RDC service, USAT Task Force or Committee, National Championship key support role, Regional or National Board, etc.
- Mentoring program – Participation either as a mentor or being mentored, depending upon experience.
- Exam – Completion of the Level 2 RD Certification Exam.
- Updated Forms – Signed copy of USAT Certified RD Code of Ethics.
The above criteria must received by December 31 of the calendar year in which certification expires.
USAT has moved to an online testing and recertification process. Please read through the step-by-step guide below for the instructions. If an incomplete application or an application that does not meet the minimum standards is submitted, the race director will be asked to resubmit all materials to complete the application. Necessary documents are below.
- Access Online Application
- Step-by-Step Guide (for both new Level 2 and recertification)
- USAT Certified RD Code of Ethics (required by all)
Current Level 2 Certified Race Directors do not need to complete the exam but need to follow the Level 2 Recertification instructions in the step-by-step guide. Race directors applying to become Level 2 Certified Race Directors must complete the exam and follow the Level 2 Certification instructions.
Certified Race directors must submit their Level 2 applications via the online system by their certification expiration date (see outline below). Please read all instructions carefully before submitting materials.
Please email Meg Weagley with any questions.
Race Directors completing a new, higher-level USAT certification (Level 2) are automatically renewed for the next two year period as a result of completing the new certification. Race Directors must be current in their Level I certification in order to apply for Level 2 status.
Continuing Education Requirements
Fifteen (15) CEUs during the two (2) years following certification - five(5) must be USAT approved.
USAT Approved Courses
USAT Presented Seminars/Webinars
USAT Race Director Symposium
Running USA Conference
Road Race Management RD Meeting
Other Approved USAT Race Director CEU Classes (Active Endurance, IEG, etc.) Please see Continuing Education Opportunities for suggestions.
Formal Higher Education Courses
Reciprocal NGB Certifications
* Must be relevant to event production or race directing
USAT Approved Courses: 1 CEU per contact hour – maximum of 10 hours per class
Non-USAT Courses: 1 CEU per contact hour – maximum of 4 hours per class
USAT RD Symposium: 8 CEUs for attending one time and 15 CEUs for attending twice in 2 years.
Formal Higher Education classes: Four CEUs will be provided for each academic credit earned with a maximum of 10 CEUs per course, i.e. 1 credit hour earns 4 CEUs, 2 credit hours earns 8 CEUs, and 3 credit hours earns 10 CEUs.
CEU Opportunities presented by USAT can be found here.
This is not a comprehensive list. Please email Meg Weagley to see if a class you are interested in taking or have already taken in will qualify!
Community Service Requirements
The following are examples of activities that meet the community service requirement. Please email Meg Weagley with questions about a specific activity that is not listed below as many will qualify!
Volunteer time working at sanctioned event that is not your own
Work as a USAT Certified Official at another sanctioned event (not your own)
Present at a USAT Certification course
Teach a USAT Approved CEU
Obtaining a governance position with USAT
USAT Ambassador Program (hosting or participating)
Hosting a USAT Official's Clinic
USA Triathlon Support Requirements
The following are some examples of items that meet the USAT Support Requirement.
Race Director Committee service
USAT Task Force or Committee
National Championship key support role
Regional or National Board
Please email Meg Weagley with questions about a specific activity that is not listed above as many will qualify!
Mentoring Program Requirements
Participation in a mentoring relationship is a requirement of the Certification program. Based on the participant's experience level this can either be as a mentor or by being mentored by someone else. The intent of this requirement is twofold; to provide new race directors with an opportunity for hands-on learning and for experienced directors to pass their knowledge on.
The password for the Level 2 Race Director Certification Exam can be obtained by emailing Meg Weagley. It will include experiential and scenario-based essay questions and must be submitted with the Level 2 Certification packet.
Certification Expiration Dates
Certified in 2010, expiration 12/31/2012 and 15 CEUs required
Certified in 2011, expiration 12/31/2013 and 15 CEUs required
Certified in 2012, expiration 12/31/2014 and 15 CEUs required
Level 2 Certification criteria must be received by December 31 of the calendar year in which certification expires.
2012 Late Recertification Policy
Completed Packets Postmarked January 1 - March 31: A $50 late fee is required to be reinstated as current. Certification is not extended, original expiration dates are used.
Completed Packets Postmarked April 1 - December 31: Race Director must retake the race director certification exam (I or II depending on the race director’s level) and pay a $100 exam processing fee. The certification exam retake is in addition to the regular CEU requirements (8 for Level I, 15 for Level II). The $50 late fee is required as well.
Completed Packets Postmarked after December 31: Race Director must retake the Level I or II Clinic and corresponding exam to be reinstated as current.
- Recertification Due: 12/31/12
- Materials Complete/Postmarked by 12/31/12: Current Through 12/31/14
- Materials Complete/Postmarked on 1/1/13 - 3/31/13: $50 Late Fee Required; Current Through 12/31/14
- Materials Complete/Postmarked on 4/1/13 through 12/31/13: $50 Late Fee, Level I or II Exam Required with $100 Exam Processing Fee; Current Through 12/31/14
- Materials Complete/Postmarked 1/1/14 or later: Race Director must retake the Level I or II Clinic and Exam to be reinstated as current.