Polk Majestic Travel Packages
USA Triathlon and Polk Majestic Travel have finished putting the final touches on the Team USA travel packages for the 2012 ITU World Championships in Auckland, New Zealand.
We highly encourage our Team USA members to book their travel through Polk Majestic as USAT works very closely with Polk to create these packages. This is how you can best interact with fellow Team Members and have the best access to the Team USA Support Staff.
The website has details on the team hotels, travel packages, area and race information, details on traveling with your bicycle, extending your trip, and other tidbits to help make your experience easier. If you have questions about travel, please email Suzanne Rivers from Polk Majestic email@example.com or call her at 303-386-8541.
Participants carrying a passport from the United States or Mexico do not need to apply for a visitor's visa in advance of travelling to New Zealand - as long as the holder has round trip flights dated within a three month period and at least three months of additional validity on their passport beyond the date that they intend to depart New Zealand.
They may also be asked to show evidence of funds available for day-to-day living costs upon arrival in New Zealand. This would usually be a bank statement in their name, or a credit card statement showing a credit limit, indicating access to the equivalent of NZ$1000 per month.
A full list of additional countries that do not require a visa to travel to New Zealand can be found at the following link: http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/VisaFreeCountries.htmIf your passport is not from the United States or from Mexico, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for visa application instructions.
If you are transiting through Australia on your way to New Zealand, you may require a transit visa for Australia. For further information on this please refer to this website: www.immi.gov.au/visitors/transit/visa-options.htm.
All athletes transiting through any country en-route to New Zealand should check if transit visas are required on the outbound and inbound journey.
If you require a Letter of Registration from Auckland to support your visa application process, please email your request to email@example.com.
Airport Storage in Auckland
If you are interested in using Airport Storage services while you are in Auckland, click here for complete details on airport luggage storage and lockers.
Where to go when you arrive in New Zealand
‘The Cloud’ located on Queens Wharf in the heart on Auckland’s CBD is the designated event hub for the Triathlon World Champs. The Kiwi Café at the Cloud will be the place to hang out and meet up with other athletes, with great NZ coffee, good food, comfy couches and WIFI (wireless internet access). Kiwi Café is open daily from 7am–6pm, from Monday 15 October.
Air New Zealand Special Airfare Offer
A Team USA Auckland athlete, Scott Endsley, has used his connection with Air New Zealand to negotiate discounted flights and bike transportation for those athletes traveling to Auckland for the 2012 ITU Triathlon World Championships this October.
Details for the special airfare include:
- Total air fare cost, from LAX (Los Angeles) or SFO (San Francisco) to Auckland is $1475.
- The round trip bike transport fee from LAX or SFO to Auckland and back is $70 per bike.
- If flying on a partner airline of Air New Zealand to get to LAX or SFO you will be charged the normal bike fee rate for that airline. Note that Southwest Airlines, which does fly into SF and LA only charges $50 for the bike one way.
- Flights should be booked by July 15, 2012, and fully paid for by Sept. 3, 2012.
- Air New Zealand has also agreed to help coordinate all athletes and their companions flights originating anywhere in the USA, and departing and returning any dates in October, with included flight reduction costs for the flights getting to LAX or SFO.
- All flight bookings and questions should be emailed to Lupe.Maake@airnz.co.nz. You MUST book through Lupe to receive the discounts noted.
This is a wonderful opportunity for some cost savings on the trip to Auckland. Take advantage of this great opportunity and don’t miss the July 15th deadline! Email Lupe.Maake@airnz.co.nz for more information or if you would like to get a price quote.
Customs in New Zealand (Bicycles)
All bikes that have been used at least once must be declared, as customs may wish to inspect them for dirt/plant matter on the tires/frame (similarly, golf clubs need to be declared as customs checks them for dirt and grass on the clubs). All plant matter could bring something harmful into the country.
Bikes come into New Zealand regularly, same as golf clubs. Since the bikes that athletes are bringing are road bikes and not off road, there shouldn't be any major issues. However, if you are concerned, make sure the tires and frame of your bike are free of all dirt/plant matter as this is what customs are checking for.
High Country Bike Shipping to Auckland
One of USA Triathlon’s partners, High Country Shipping, has arranged for bike shipping to and from Auckland for the World Champs. For more information, click their website http://www.highcountryshipping.com/aquathlon_world_new_zealand.html. Note that there must be at least 50 bikes to buy into this deal for the promotion to occur. For specific questions about this bike shipping opportunity, please call 877-231-1363.
Athletes from the United States do not need a Visa to travel to New Zealand. For a completely positive travel experience, New Zealand event organizers have provided a checklist to help understand the arrival and departure requirements for New Zealand.
CLICK HERE for a list of things to see and do when staying in Auckland.
- Information on Auckland and New Zealand can be found at www.aucklandnz.com and www.newzealand.com
- For details on the road rules in New Zealand, visit the following: http://www.nzta.govt.nz
- All major international credit cards can be used in New Zealand. If your credit card is encoded with a PIN number you will be able to withdraw cash from automatic teller machines (ATMs) situated at banks and shopping centers throughout the country. You can exchange foreign currency at Auckland International Airport and at banks located in Auckland’s CBD.
- For local bus, train and ferry information, visit www.maxx.co.nz
- If you wish to take your bike on the train, a bicycle ticket must be purchased for each trip. Carrying bicycles onboard trains is dependent on space and at the discretion of onboard staff. Avoid travelling with bicycles during peak times (7:30-9:00am and 4:30-6:00pm) as space will be limited.
The average high temperature in Auckland in October is in the 70’s. The average low temperature is in the 50’s. Auckland averages around 4 inches of rain in October.
The average water temperature in Auckland in October is in the low 60’s.
The following is a list of suitable swimming pool training facilities in the Auckland City region that are available free of charge from Monday 15 October to Monday 22 October 2012, for all athletes competing in the Grand Final. To utilize the facilities free of charge, you will require the 'Tri World Champs ID' that can be collected at the Information desk in The Cloud. National Federations will have nominated training times and dedicated lanes (with Tri World Champs ID), at the following swimming pool facilities;
- Parnell Baths (5min bike ride from event venue) Judges Bay Road, Parnell, Auckland, Ph. +64 9 373 3561 Facilities: Outdoor 60m salt pool Training times: 7.00am - 5.00pm National Federations nominated training times to be advised
- Tepid Baths (5min walk from event venue) 82-102 Customs Street West, Auckland City, Ph. +64 9 379 4745 Facilities: Indoor 25m pool Training Times: 9.00am - 12.00pm, and 1.30pm - 3.00pm National Federations nominated training times to be advised.
Athletes will also be able to utilize the following swimming pool facilities free of charge from Monday 15 October to Monday 22 October 2012 (with Tri World Champs ID). Please note there will be no dedicated swimming lanes at the following pools, but athletes can use the public lanes at any time. For dedicated lanes, bookings are essential, and are subject to availability. Call the Pool to book your dedicated lane.
- Takapuna (Approx. 10-15 min drive from event venue) 37 Killarney Street, Takapuna, Auckland, Ph. +64 9 486 3286 Facilities: Indoor 33m pool
- Birkenhead (Approx. 10-15 min drive from event venue) 48 Mahara Avenue, Birkenhead, Auckland, Ph. +64 9 444 6340 Facilities: Outdoor heated 33m pool
- Glenfield (Approx. 10-15 min drive from event venue) 73-77 Bentley Avenue, Glenfield, Auckland, Ph. +64 9 444 6340 Facilities: Indoor 25m pool
- Stanmore Bay (Approx. 45 min drive from event venue) 159 Brightside Road, Stanmore Bay, Auckland, Ph. +64 9 424 1914 Facilities: Indoor 25m pool Recommended training times: 10.30am - 3.30pm
- Westwave (Approx. 30 min drive from event venue) 20 Alderman Drive, Henderson, Auckland, Ph. +64 9 838 3706 Facilities: Indoor 25m pool