May 15 – ITU qualification period opens
Aug. 27-Sept. 1 – ITU World Triathlon Grand Final, Edmonton, Alberta
July 11-12 – 2015 Toronto Pan American Games, Toronto, Ontario
Aug. 1-2 – ITU World Olympic Qualification Event, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
September 18-19 – 2015 ITU World Triathlon Series Grand Final, Chicago, Illinois
May 15 – ITU qualification period ends
TBD – Third U.S. Olympic Triathlon Team Qualifier
Aug. 18 – Men's Triathlon at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
Aug. 20 – Women's Triathlon at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
U.S. Olympic Team Qualification Criteria
The selection period for the 2016 U.S. Olympic Triathlon Team begins in Rio de Janeiro on Aug. 1-2 with the ITU test event. U.S. elite triathletes competing in the Rio de Janeiro ITU World Olympic Qualification Event must finish in the top eight overall to automatically qualify for an Olympic Games spot, and a maximum of two athletes per gender may qualify. If two spots are not earned at the Rio de Janeiro ITU World Olympic Qualification Event, one automatic qualifying spot will be available at the ITU World Triathlon Grand Final in Chicago on Sept. 18-19, granted the athlete finishes in the top eight.
The third selection event will be an ITU Olympic-distance, draft-legal event to be held between March 1-May 31, 2016, with exact dates and location to be determined. Event information and specific qualification details will be posted at usatriathlon.org within seven days of ITU posting the final 2016 calendar of events. If spots still remain after the three selection events, athletes may be selected by the Elite Athlete Selection Committee and/or an Objective Ranking System. Details of all qualification processes are available at usatriathlon.org/gamescriteria.
The number of spots available on the U.S. Olympic Triathlon Team will be determined no later than May 16, 2016. For the current Rio 2016 Olympic Qualification List and an Olympic Simulation, visit triathlon.org/rankings.
ITU Qualification Criteria
Triathlon in the Olympic Games will feature a total field of 55 men and 55 women. A maximum of three athletes per gender per national federation (NF) will be allowed. Only eight NFs will be allowed three athletes per gender and all others will be allowed a maximum of two.
- ITU criteria is as follows (athletes must meet one of the following):
- Winning a quota place for their NOC at the ITU Continental Olympic Qualification Events
- Winning a quota place for their NOC at the 2015 ITU World Olympic Qualification Event
- Being among the top 140 in the ITU Olympic Qualification List
- Being among the top 140 in the 2015 ITU World Triathlon Series Ranking
- Being among the top 140 in the ITU Points List
National Federation spots will be awarded to:
- The winning country of each of the five continental qualifying events (Pan American Games for the U.S.)
- The countries represented by podium finishers at the World Olympic Qualification Event in Rio on Aug. 1-2
- The countries for the highest-ranked athletes on the ITU Olympic Qualification List (39 per gender); athletes who have already qualified through one of the above events will not be considered
- Five spots may also be awarded to National Federations based on the ITU Points List for events held between May 20, 2014, and May 15, 2016