In 2012, USA Triathlon will start a new tradition at the Collegiate National Championship; a 4-person Draft Legal Mixed Team Relay.
There will be 50 mixed team relay teams available; accommodating participation of 200 athletes. Each team will be comprised of two females and two males. Teams may be mixed with athletes from different schools, but the schools MUST be in the same conference. This event is DRAFT LEGAL and will follow draft legal triathlon rules. CLICK HERE for a message from the Head Referee.
Registration: The organization of composite teams is allowed provided they are associated with a school and conference and are USAT Annual Members through the date of the event. This event is free. If you are interested in competing in the draft legal event, please email your commissioner. Each conference is allocated a certain number of teams they can bring to the event as follows (please note these can change)
FCTC: 4 teams
MACTC: 6 teams
MECTC: 6 teams
MWCTC: 5 teams
NECTC: 4 teams
NWCTC: 3 teams
RMCTC: 5 teams
SECTC: 5 teams
SMWCTC: 4 teams
WCCTC: 8 teams
The race will be limited to 50 teams (200 athletes). There will need to be 35 teams signed up by March 16th for the event to take place.
Teams must be comprised of 2 males and 2 females (order goes female-male-female-male)
2012 Mixed Team Relay Travel Reimbursement
To offset the costs associated with mixed relay athletes bringing bikes to Tuscaloosa for the Collegiate Mixed Team Relay event, USA Triathlon is providing a Mixed Team Relay Travel Reimbursement to competing relay athletes. Read the following PDF Application document for complete details on the reimbursement program and eligibility. This reimbursement opportunity is available to all athletes competing in the Mixed Team Relay at the Collegiate National Championship.
The Application due date is April 4, 2012. Any modifications to relay team members (due to late substitution) must be submitted by April 25, 2012.
The prize money is awarded to those teams who place 1st-5th in the overall team championship. Prize money will be paid after the event and will only be paid to the club, not individuals.
Prize money breakdown
1st $1,500 ($375 per athlete)
2nd $1,250 ($312.50 per athlete)
3rd $1,000 ($250 per athlete)
4th $750 ($187.50 per athlete)
5th $499 ($124.75 per athlete)
Substitutions: The Team Captains is allowed a maximum of three (3) injury- or performance-related substitutions following the conclusion of the Championships on Saturday, April 21st. Substitutions must be delivered to Amanda Duke by 2:30pm on race day. No substitutions will be accepted after this time for any reason, including injury or illness discovered after this time. Substitutes must have competed in the championship or the open wave or be registered for the team relay already. Teams short one or two athletes due to the withdrawal of a teammate(s) will be allowed to start the competition, but will not be given an official result.
Numbering: The Event Organizer will assign the starting position randomly. The order by which each athlete completes the relay will be requested at the time of registration and may be altered only in the case of Substitutions when replacing an injured or ill athlete.
The Event Organizer will assign individual race numbers as follows (for example):
11 – First Athlete (Female)
12 – Second Athlete (Male)
13 – Third Athlete (Female)
14 – Fourth Athlete (Male)
201 – First Athlete (Female)
202 – Second Athlete (Male)
203 – Third Athlete (Female)
204 – Fourth Athlete (Male)
351 – First Athlete (Female)
352 – Second Athlete (Male)
353 – Third Athlete (Female)
354 – Fourth Athlete (Male)
Race Day Check In: All the team members must check in together at the transition area.
Race Briefing: All team members are required to attend a mandatory meeting on Friday April 20th at 3:30pm at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheatre.
- All team members must attend a mandatory meeting with the team relay race official at 3:30 p.m. on April 20th at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheatre.
- Athletes must wear a team uniform that fully covers his/her torso from race start to finish. Matching team uniforms are highly encouraged.
- All penalties will be assessed in the Penalty Box located on the run course and may be served by any team members currently on the field of play.
- Wetsuits are not allowed above 20°C (68°F).
- Athletes must move forward after the start signal (no lateral or rearward movement along the start line).
- Blocking or interfering with the forward progress of another competitor is not allowed.
- Aero helmets are not permitted. Helmet chin-strap must be buckled at all times while touching the bike.
- All equipment must be placed in your individual transition bin after use (e.g. swim cap, goggles, helmet).
- Bicycle must have a traditional triangular frame; wheels must have at least 12 spokes; handlebars must be traditional drop-style with bar-ends plugged; clip-on aerobars may not extend beyond the brake levers' foremost line and must be bridged; no bar-end gear shifters allowed; elbow pads are allowed.
CLICK HERE for a full list of Mixed Team Relay rules and general information.
Race Distances: The total time for the team is from the start of the 1st team member to the finish of the 4th. Time is continuous and the watch does not stop between athletes.
Team Member #1 (Female): 275m swim, 6k bike, 1.6k run
Team Member #2 (Male): 250m swim, 6k bike, 1.6k run
Team Member #3 (Female): 250m swim, 6k bike, 1.6k run
Team Member #4 (Male): 250m swim, 6k bike, 1.6k run
*Team Member #1 will start from the Pontoon at the Bama Belle and swim West towards the amphitheatre which is why their swim is 25m longer. Team Member #2-4 will start and exit from the Amphitheatre.
1. Leave transition from the back of the amphitheater and head south toward Jack Warner Pkwy for
2. Enter Jack Warner Pkwy and head east for 2.9k to New Hackberry Ln.
3. Turn around at New Hackberry Ln. and continue on Jack Warner Pkwy
4. head west for 2.66k and turn right into the east entrance of the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater.
5. follow the road around for .27k to transition.
1.Leave transition from the back of the amphitheater and head south toward Jack Warner Pkwy for
2.Enter Jack Warner Pkwy and head east for .71k
3. Turn around at the City Credit Union
4. Continue back on Jack Warner Pkwy for .48k and turn right into the east entrance of the
5. follow the east entrance to the finish line for .21k.
*For a printable version click each map.