• NEW FOR 2012 - Athletes that finish in the top 40% of their age group at any of the Official Qualifying Events will automatically be qualified to enter the 2012 TriSports.com Halfmax Championship!
• NEW FOR 2012 - USA Triathlon Long Course Regional Championships have also been designated as select qualifying events. The Top 40% qualifying standard applies those races. Regional List Coming Soon!
• Qualifier status is determined by rounding to the nearest whole "racer". For example, if there are 23 people in your age group, the top 40% of that group is 9.20 people, so the top ten people will qualify.
• You will compete in your age group as of December 31, 2012.
• You will receive an official invitation if you qualify (by e-mail) if you provided an accurate e-mail address to the qualifying event. You do not have to wait for the invitation to register for the Championship.
• You cannot qualify for the Halfmax Championship by finishing in the top 40% at other half iron-distance events (for example, any 70.3 event). Athletes that race in a non-qualifying event will have the option of qualifying by time standards only.
• The tentative list of 2012 qualifying races is online on the Qualifying Races Page!
You can qualify by established time standards at any USAT Sanctioned half iron-distance or full iron-distance event in the nation. You must qualify by the time standards at all events outside the qualifying event network.
• Qualifier status is determined by rounding down to the nearest whole minute. For example, if you are a 27 year-old male (required qualifying time: 5:05), and your finish time is 5:05:15, you qualify.
•You will compete in your age group as of December 31, 2012.
Exception: If an event outside of the qualifying network must cancel or shorten the swim, bike, or run portion of the course, the Top 25% will qualify. Errors in course distance or measurements do not apply. Only course cancelations and critical adjustments will be considered for the Top 25% exception rule.
39 & Under
40 & Over
If you were a member of any 2010 or 2011 Team USA World Championship team, you are automatically qualified for the 2012 Halfmax Championship. You are also qualified if you were in the Top 40% of your age group or weight classification at the 2011 TriSports.com Halfmax National Championships in Myrtle Beach, SC.
Be sure to follow the listed guidelines below for qualification:
• Athletes can only qualify at USA Triathlon Sanctioned Events!
• Athletes could re-qualify for the 2012 Championships at the 2011 Halfmax Championship. The Top 40% will qualify at the 2012 Championship.
• Athletes that do not finish in the top 40% of their age group/weight class division at an Official Qualifying event can still qualify if they meet the established time standards at that event.
• Proof of qualification will be required for entry and before distribution of the Team USA World Championship slots.
• Any qualifying event or qualifying time earned after July 1, 2011 will qualify the participant for 2012 championship event.
• Athletes will qualify in their designated age group at the time of the event. Athletes racing in the Championship will participate in their current age group on the day of the Championship. For Example: It is possible to qualify in the 24-29 age group, then participate in the championship in the 30-34 age group.
For a tentative list of Qualifying Races for 2012 Halfmax National Championship, please visit the Qualifying Races Page.