16 participants completed the eight-week training program and completed their first ever triathlon at the 2014 Youth & Junior National Championship. See images from their race in West Chester, Ohio, below.
"The Tri for Change kids are really making progress. Moving into our fifth week of training, we have much stronger swimming skills and are refining transitions. The kids are learning the basics of maximizing their bikes and how to pace themselves when transitioning from bike to run. It is exciting to see so much progress and start thinking about race day.”
— Elyse Jarard, USA Triathlon Level I Certified Coach
About Tri for Change
USA Triathlon has developed Tri For Change, a program created to help kids discover the sport of triathlon, learn how to live a healthy lifestyle, meet new friends and get in shape - all while having fun.
USA Triathlon recognizes the need for educating youth on the importance of health, fitness and making smart decisions in life. Providing an opportunity to youth who normally wouldn't get this experience is the No. 1 goal of Tri For Change. Childhood obesity is a growing problem in the United States and through this program we can address proper nutrition and exercise habits. Triathlon is a lifelong sport - our goal is to get kids involved now!
With your help and through a partnership with Blue Ash YMCA in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA Triathlon will launch its inaugural Tri For Change event at the 2014 Youth and Junior National Championships August 2-3 in West Chester, Ohio.
For more information, contact Kara Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donate to Tri For Change Today!
Please spare some change to help us make a change.
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A DONATION TO TRI FOR CHANGE TODAY
10-15 participants will complete an eight (8) week training program prior to the 2014 Youth and Junior National Championships.
A USA Triathlon certified coach will teach participants:
- Basic skills in the disciplines of swim, bike and run
- Simple transition tips including how to prepare their area before the race to minimize time spent in this area
- How to use equipment provided to them
- USA Triathlon competitive rules
- Other skills to assure a safe yet rewarding experience
- Eight (8) weeks of training, culminating with a comp entry into the 2014 Youth National Championships
- A commemorative "Tri For Change" gift
- A Junior Elite Mentor (JEM) from one of the USA Triathlon's Junior Elite club
- $50 Wal-Mart gift card for completing the program
- Essential triathlon gear
- Complimentary entry into the event
- Free pre-race kids clinic (day before event)
- Paid USA Triathlon youth annual membership
- Individual wave for only "Tri For Change" participants
- Gift card for completion of event through local business(es)
- The existing benefits extended to all athlete competing in the event
- Finisher gifts to include a medal, t-shirt and goodie bag