USA Triathlon has developed Tri For Change, a program created to help kids discover the sport of triathlon, learn how to live a healthy lifestyle, meet new friends and get in shape — all while having fun.
USA Triathlon recognizes the need for educating youth on the importance of health, fitness and making smart decisions in life. Providing an opportunity to youth who normally wouldn't get this experience is the No. 1 goal of Tri For Change. Childhood obesity is a growing problem in the United States and through this program we can address proper nutrition and exercise habits. Triathlon is a lifelong sport — our goal is to get kids involved now!
USA Triathlon will hold the 2nd Annual Tri For Change event at the 2015 Youth & Junior National Championships August 1-2 in West Chester, Ohio.
For more information, contact Megan Ritch at email@example.com.
About the 2015 Tri for Change Program
For the 2015 Tri For Change Program 20-25 participants will complete an eight-week training program with a USA Triathlon Certified Coach prior to the 2015 Youth & Junior National Championships. Participants will also be provided essential triathlon gear to help them train and complete their first triathlon.
A USA Triathlon Certified Coach will teach participants:
- Basic skills in the disciplines of swim, bike and run
- Simple transition tips including how to prepare their area before the race to minimize time spent in this area
- How to use equipment provided to them
- USA Triathlon competitive rules
- Other skills to assure a safe yet rewarding experience
Participants also receive:
- Eight weeks of training, culminating with a comp entry into the 2015 Youth National Championships
- A commemorative "Tri For Change" gift
- A Junior Elite Mentor (JEM) from one of the USA Triathlon's Junior Elite club
- $50 Walmart gift card for completing the program
- Essential triathlon gear
As a participant in the 2015 Youth & Junior National Championships, these athletes will receive:
- Complimentary entry into the event
- Free pre-race kids clinic (day before event)
- Paid USA Triathlon youth annual membership
- Individual wave for only "Tri For Change" participants
- Gift card for completion of event through local business(es)
- The existing benefits extended to all athlete competing in the event
- Finisher gifts to include a medal, T-shirt and goodie bag
The 2014 Tri For Change Program
Sixteen participants completed the eight-week training program and completed their first ever triathlon at the 2014 Youth & Junior National Championship. See images from their race in West Chester, Ohio, below.
“The Tri For Change kids are really making progress. Moving into our fifth week of training, we have much stronger swimming skills and are refining transitions. The kids are learning the basics of maximizing their bikes and how to pace themselves when transitioning from bike to run. It is exciting to see so much progress and start thinking about race day.” -Elyse Jarard, USA Triathlon Level I Certified Coach
“Two of my daughters participated in the program and completed the triathlon this past weekend. They both had a wonderful time training with their peers, mingling with the junior elite mentors and participating in the national championship race! This was an awesome experience for them that they will never forget.” – Parent of participants Covey & Anya
“Frankly we had very little idea what we signed up for. But now that she has fully recovered she reminds me 2+ times a day that she is so happy she decided to tough it out.” – Parent of participant Arushi