Upcoming EventsSee All Events »
How many World Triathlon Series races will Gwen Jorgensen win in her career?
Slavinski, Wilkinson Lead U.S. at ITU Long Distance Triathlon Worlds
VITORIA-GASTEIZ, Spain — A U.S. team of nearly 100 age group athletes earned five medals Sunday at the ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships.
Dave Slavinski (Point Pleasant, N.J.), Jolene Wilkinson (Boise, Idaho) and Jesse Taing (Sacramento, Calif.) earned gold medals while Roger Little (Bedford, Mass.) earned silver and Alessandra Battig (Modesto, Calif.) earned bronze.Slavinski, the 2012 USA Triathlon Long Course Duathlon National Champion, posted the fifth-best time (6 hours, 9 minutes, 23 seconds) overall to win the men's 40-44 age group for the 4-kilometer swim, 120-kilometer bike and 30-kilometer run event.
Wilkinson (Boise, Idaho), earned the gold in the women's 35-39 age group with a time of 6:50:35 - the second-fastest time among all women. She was nearly 23 minutes ahead of the second-fastest competitor in her age group.
Team USA is comprised of the nation's top amateur triathletes who represent the United States at each ITU world championship event. Visit usatriathlon.org for more on Team USA.
2012 ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championships, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
Elite Men - full results
1. Chris McCormack (Australia), 5:29:47
2. Eneko Llanos (Spain), 5:31:39
3. Dirk Bockel (Luxembourg), 5:34:54
Elite Women - full results
1. Caroline Steffen (Switzerland), 6:04:17
2. Camilla Pedersen (Denmark), 6:09:23
3. Jodie Swallow (Great Britain), 6:12:48
United States Age Group Medalists - full results
2. Roger Little (Bedford, Mass.), 9:07:00
1. David Slavinski (Point Pleasant, N.J.), 6:09:23
1. Jolene Wilkinson (Boise, Idaho), 6:50:35
3. Alessandra Battig (Modesto, Calif.), 7:17:39
1. Jesse Taing (Sacramento, Calif.), 7:54:00