Upcoming EventsSee All Events »
What is your go-to recovery tool?
photo: Mario Cantu/CIMAGES
Billington Earns First Career ITU Win at Dallas Pan American Cup
Huffman, Jones win Under-23 national titles
DALLAS, Texas — Greg Billington led the way for the U.S. on Saturday when he picked up his first International Triathlon Union Continental Cup win at the 2013 Dallas ITU Triathlon Pan American Cup.
Billington (Colorado Springs, Colo.) covered the 1,500-meter swim, 40-kilometer bike, 10-kilometer run course in 1 hour, 44 minutes, 49 seconds to take the tape, earning his first career ITU win and second ITU podium finish of the season. In a sweep for the U.S. men, William Huffman (Colleyville, Texas) was second in 1:45:30 and Ben Kanute (Geneva, Ill.) took third to round out the podium in 1:46:36.
In the women’s race, Mexico’s Claudia Rivas won by nearly a minute, posting a time of 1:56:11. Elite Triathlon Academy athletes Erin Jones (Hood River, Ore.) and Johanna Gartman (Chattanooga, Tenn.) finished in 1:57:09 and 1:57:42, respectively, to take second and third.
Saturday’s race was also host of the USA Triathlon Under-23 National Championship, contested in conjunction with the ITU Pan American Cup. As the top U-23 athletes of the day, Huffman and Jones won national titles and met qualification criteria to represent the U.S. at the 2013 ITU Under-23 World Championships, set to take place in September.
Overall, the U.S. elite men and women combined for 16 top-10 finishes in Dallas.
In addition to the ITU Pan American Cup, Dallas also hosted USA Triathlon Youth F1 (ages 12-16) Saturday morning. These events are designed to provide top up-and-coming triathletes with draft-legal racing experience.
J Tyler Henthorn (The Woodlands, Texas) won the super-sprint-distance boys’ Youth F1 race in 32:07, while Gina Johnson (Park Ridge, Ill.) was victorious in the girls’ race with a time of 35:20.
Dallas ITU Triathlon Pan American Cup – Complete Results
(1,500m swim, 40k bike, 10k run)
Men’s Top-10 Finishers
1. Greg Billington (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 1:44:49
2. William Huffman (Colleyville, Texas), 1:45:30
3. Ben Kanute (Geneva, Ill.), 1:46:36
4. Joe Maloy (Wildwood Crest, N.J.), 1:46:50
5. Luke Farkas (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 1:47:56
6. Ryan Bice (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 1:48:05
7. Andrew Bysice (CAN), 1:48:13
8. Sean Jefferson (Palisades, Calif.), 1:48:29
9. John Dahlz (South San Francisco, Calif.), 1:49:36
10. Hernan Dario Valero (COL), 1:49:46
Women’s Top-10 Finishers
1. Claudia Rivas (MEX), 1:56:11
2. Erin Jones (Hood River, Ore.), 1:57:09
3. Johanna Gartman (Chattanooga, Tenn.), 1:57:42
4. Tanelle Berard (Clive, Iowa), 1:58:03
5. Jenna Parker (Santa Monica, Calif.), 1:58:29
6. Michelle Mehnert (Boulder, Colo.), 1:59:10
7. Cecilia Perez (MEX), 1:59:18
8. Kelsey Withrow (Park City, Utah), 1:59:25
9. Brianna Blanchard (Boston, Mass.), 2:00:55
10. D'Ann Arthur (Dallas, Texas), 2:01:19
USA Triathlon Youth F1 – Complete Results
(375m swim, 10k bike, 2.5k run)
1. J Tyler Henthorn (The Woodlands, Texas), 32:07
2. Zachary Henthorn (The Woodlands, Texas), 32:14
3. Dino Rodriguez (Metepec, Okla.), 32:33
1. Gina Johnson (Park Ridge, Ill.), 35:20
2. Safee Belbina (Flower Mound, Texas), 36:06
3. Rebecca Rivers (Elgin, Texas), 36:27