When do you train on summer weekdays?
photo: Paul Phillips/Jonathan Phillips/Competitive Image
Shoemaker Posts Second-Place Finish at Jiayuguan ITU World Cup
JIAYUGUAN, China — USA Triathlon National Team member and 2008 Olympian Jarrod Shoemaker earned his first World Cup podium finish of the season on Saturday at the Jiayuguan ITU World Cup, crossing the line in second place.
Shoemaker (Clermont, Fla.) finished the 1,500-meter swim, 40-kilometer bike, 10-kilometer run course in a time of 1 hour, 49 minutes, 57 seconds for the silver medal, finishing within three seconds of race winner Vladimir Turbayevskiy of Russia, who crossed the line in 1:49:54. Turbayevskiy’s Russian compatriot Igor Polyanskiy was third in 1:50:00.
Shoemaker’s performance was his second top-five finish of the season in China, having finished fifth in Chengdu on May 10.
“I definitely feel good. I’ve gotten a fifth and a second in World Cup racing this year, and I know I have a job to do,” Shoemaker said in a post-race interview with ITU media. “It is another level from World Cup to World Series racing, and the bike is probably the biggest difference. I am excited for Edmonton. I think it will be fun to see how I go against the best guys but the big goal is Rio so it is baby steps at the moment.”
In the women’s race, Jessica Broderick (Boulder, Colo.) was the lone American, finishing fourth in a time of 2:00:58. She missed a podium spot by 11 seconds.
Jiayuguan ITU World Cup
1,500m swim, 40k bike, 10k run
Men – Complete Results
1. Vladimir Turbaevskiy (RUS), 1:49:54
2. Jarrod Shoemaker (Clermont, Fla.), 1:49:57
3. Igor Polyanskiy (RUS), 1:50:00
11. Joe Maloy (Wildwood Crest, N.J.), 1:50:44
21. William Huffman (Colleyville, Texas), 1:51:34
31. Eric Lagerstrom (Gresham, Ore.), 1:52:23
45. Jason Pedersen (Simi Valley, Calif.), 1:53:52
Women – Complete Results
1. Maria Czesnik (POL), 2:00:10
2. Yurie Kato (JPN), 2:00:33
3. Ditte Kristensen (DEN), 2:00:47
4. Jessica Broderick (Boulder, Colo.), 2:00:58