Media Teleconferences & Interviews
USA Triathlon provides downloadable mp3 files of select media teleconferences and interviews. Click the links below to download an mp3 file:
2012 London Olympic Games Media Guide
Available as a digital version or downloadable PDFs
SECONDARY CONTACTChuck Menke
Chief Marketing Officer
News & Multimedia
USA Triathlon posts press releases with story advances and results on its web site and also makes them available through RSS feed and email subscription services. Releases pertaining to National Team athletes and events will also be posted to the U.S. Olympic Committee's News section. Releases are also sent by e-mail to hometown and national media outlets and can be faxed by request.
Receive USA Triathlon News by Email
USA Triathlon welcomes media coverage at each of its National Championship events, as well as ITU events hosted in the U.S.
In 2015, USA Triathlon will issue credentials for the following events:
- Collegiate Club National Championships (April 24-25, Clemson, S.C.)
- Duathlon National Championships (June 6, St. Paul, Minn.)
- Youth and Junior National Championships (Aug. 1-2, West Chester, Ohio)
- Age Group National Championships (Aug. 8-9, Milwaukee, Wis.)
- ITU World Triathlon Grand Final and World Championships (Sept. 15-20, Chicago, Ill.)
For all other National Championship events, media should contact the local event organizer for accreditation information.
Media credentials are reserved for members of the working press only and are granted at the discretion of the USA Triathlon communications staff.
To be considered for a media credential, a journalist must:
- Have submitted USA Triathlon’s PDF media credential form by the deadline stated on the form via email or fax. Credentials requested after the deadline are not guaranteed.
- Be a working journalist or photographer for a recognized media outlet on assignment for the event.
Freelance writers or photographers must submit a letter on company letterhead detailing their assignment from the assigning editor along with the credential application form.
Upon receipt of the credential application, all media members will receive confirmation via email from the USA Triathlon communications staff.
When the number of credentials is limited, priority will be given to:
- Media organizations with a large daily circulation and/or a large national audience
- Local media in the event’s host city
- Triathlon-specific media outlets
When at the race venue, all media members must display their credential at all times and follow all course access guidelines outlined by the USA Triathlon communications staff. Additionally, all photographers must obtain a USA Triathlon media vest from a member of the USA Triathlon communications staff.
Media credentials are non-transferable and may be revoked at any time at the sole discretion of USA Triathlon.
Post-event interviews will be coordinated in a designated area — usually adjacent to the finish line — by the USA Triathlon communications staff.
Tips for Photographers
Many races offer media vehicles, but once on the vehicle it may not stop until the race is over. Other recommended viewing areas are the swim start, swim finish, transition area and finish line. Photographers may wish to wade into shallow water to shoot the swim start. It can often be difficult to determine the best place from which to photograph the transition, though it's usually near the entrance or exit. Find out in advance where the entrance and exit will be and set up outside the fencing. Often the swim entrance and the run exit are the best places for quality photographs, because the athletes are moving slower and are upright (many times cyclists are bent over adjusting their shoes). Please be careful near the transition area. Stay outside of the fencing and out of the flow of traffic.
The medical tent or building is usually located near the finish line and is always closed to media. As with all sports, the safety of the athletes is paramount - please respect the wishes of all medical personnel attending to athletes.
Facts and Event History
USA Triathlon Fact Sheets (Updated November 2012)
- History of Triathlon
- History of USA Triathlon
- What is USA Triathlon?
- Triathlon by the Numbers
- Triathlon Glossary
- Triathlon Timeline
- Triathlon Viewer's Guide
- USA Triathlon Member Demographics
USA Triathlon Event History (Updated July 2014)
- All-time Olympic Games Results
- All-time Pan American Games Results
- All-time Goodwill Games Results
- All-time USA Triathlon Elite National Champions
- All-time USA Triathlon Age Group Triathlon National Champions
- All-time Elite World Championships Results
- All-time Paratriathlon World Championships Results
- All-time Age Group World Championships Results
- All-time ITU Rankings of U.S. Athletes
- All-time World Cup & World Triathlon Series Podium Finishes by U.S. Athletes
- Awards Received by U.S. Elite Triathletes
- All-time Collegiate National Championship Results
- USA Triathlon History Project