Team USA Athlete Checklist
Congrats on making the team! We're excited to have you represent the United States and USA Triathlon. You’ll get an email from email@example.com shortly after the event which qualified you for the team covering next steps confirming your spot and requesting payment of the $100 deposit.
Team USA Checklist
Confirm Your Spot
Confirm Worlds Slot with both deposit payment and registration entry fee when requested. Conform that your deposit and registration fee hsa been paid with your Team USA notification email and receipts.
There are no deferrals for Team USA slots. If you do not accept the berth to the World Championship event you qualified for, you will not be part of Team USA.
Check Your Passport
Check passport/Global Entry (if applicable) for expiration dates and renew as needed according to regulations from the country you're traveling to. Check immunizations required for destination and update records.
Secure LodgingTravel Packages
As soon as world championship event/location/dates/schedule are known, secure lodging, either on your own or via a Team USA travel package. Team USA packages are hosted at the Team USA hotel with Team USA staff (managers, bike mechanics, massage/physical therapists, chiropractor/MD) and are the best way to connect with staff, information and other Team USA athletes.
Secure travel plans as soon as possible. These may include airfare, airport transfers, bike transportation, local transportation, etc. Remember to make resorvations for your bike on each connection of your journey. USAT recommends making as few connections as possible and avoiding small aircraft as such aircraft may be unable to accomodate your bike. It's also recommended to place a GPS tracking device in your bike case. Use luggage tags for each piece of luggage, and take photos of your bike plus the contents of your luggage in case they get lost. It's best practice to place any essential race items in your carry-on. These may include your helmet, race kit, shoes (bike and run), bike pedals (if removed), medications and a change of clothes).
Ship or Rent Your Bike
If you are planning to ship or rent a bike, secure these plans as soon as possible. Bike rentals may be limited, and many companies avoid costly overseas bike shipments.
Get Your KitKit Information
As soon as available, purchase mandatory Team USA race kit (must be World Triathlon-approved for the current year) and Team USA parade kit (updated every year). Ensure your bike helmet has a CPSC safety approved sticker inside, fits well and is undamaged. Ensure your bike is in good mechanical condition and that all swim, bike and run gear is in good condition and fits well.
Attend Town Halls
Register for monthly Team USA Town Halls. Attend or listen to recording regularly to stay current on Team USA news and information.
ConnectUSAT Multisport Committee Facebook Page, opens in a new tab
Check your Teamworks Hub for information, plus usatriathlon.org and your email registered with USA Triathlon for updates regarding your World Championship event.
Get the App
Within a month of your event, register for the official Team USA communication app. This will host updates from Team USA managers and the athlete forum, a social chat with your Team USA teammates.
Get Your Essentials in Order
- Purchase travel insurance and international medical insurance if desired and pack copies.
- Pack copies of your passport and ID.
- Notify credit card companies of travel plans.
- Select international phone plan or research local SIM card options. Pack health insurance cards credit card(s) and sufficient cash as comfortable.
Check Your Info
Check your name and information on the Team USA roster, posted in the Team USA section of usatriathlon.org, to track your progress in the registration process. More than 30 days before your World Championships event, double-check your name and age gorup on your race's start list. If your name is not on the start list, contact firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
Review the Guides
Review Athletes Guide & Team USA Athletes Guide when available for event details.
Attend the Final Town Hall
Attend Final Team USA Worlds Town Hall for final updates before traveling.
Pack and Fly
Safe travels, and we'll see you soon!
Team USA is funded through is funded through the deposits paid by athletes on the team with some USA Triathlon partners creating cost offsets in other areas of need. An athlete's typical costs can be broken down into several categories:
- $100 non-refundable deposit: USA Triathlon user fee that all athletes are required to pay to join Team USA
- $160 - $400 World Triathlon world championship event entry fee: to be paid when World Triathlon announces the fee
$170-$220 average cost of mandatory Team USA uniform provided by Zoot.
- $185 - $230 average cost of mandatory Team USA World Triathlon Parade of Nations kit (worn for team photos, parade, awards and at other times that USA Triathlon defines
- $150 - $250 USA typical land travel package cost, per person per day, provided by Andavo Meetings & Incentives (A division of Christopherson Business Travel) which usually includes airport/hotel transfers, bicycle transportation at destination, lodging and more. Foreign travel can be more expensive.
- $60 - $80 average food costs, per person per day, depending on what and where you eat. It is a good idea of try and secure a hotel where breakfast is part of your fee. Also, you can save money buy purchasing lunch food and keep in your room.
- USA Triathlon will typically partner with a transport company to help athletes ship their bikes to World Championships locations (Tri Bike Transport currently). Specific shipping packages will be created for most World Championship locations.