The Associate Coach Certification is designed to equip an entry-level coach with the tools needed to become a capable and qualified instructor. It is intended for assistant coaches, high school coaches, parents or other multisport athletes.
USA Triathlon’s Online Associate Coach Certification Course educates aspiring coaches on how to train their athletes on different aspects of triathlon. Just some of the topics covered include:
- Foundation of physiology foundation
- Foundation of nutrition
- Theory of coaching
- Swim technique and stroke mechanics
- Bike handling
- Demands of the triathlon run
- Transition planning
Once the USAT Online Associate Coach Certification is completed, coach certification candidates must then upload verification of the remaining coach certification requirements. Candidates have six-weeks from the day the course is completed to submit the remaining coach certification requirements. Upon submission, USAT Staff reviews the submission for accuracy and completion. Once submission is approved, official USA Triathlon Associate Coach Certification is awarded.
Associate Coach Certification Requirements
For USA Triathlon Associate Coach Certification, candidates must complete and/or submit the following:
CPR, AED, and First Aid Certification
Looking to take the next step in your coaching career? Certified Associated Coaches may take a bridge course to Level I Coaching Certification.
The four-phase course contains additional instruction on the following topics:
- Exercise Physiology (Bridge Phase 1)
- Applied Nutrition & Fueling (Bridge Phase 1)
- Strength and Conditioning (Bridge Phase 2)
- Training Plan Management (Bridge Phase 2)
- Sport Psychology and Mental Performance (Bridge Phase 3)
- Coaching as a Business (Bridge Phase 3)
- Paratriathlon 101 (Bridge Phase 4)
- Risk Management (Bridge Phase 4)
Phases can be done yearly for $150 per phase.
An Associate Coach Certification is valid for four years from the date it was completed. After four years, coaches must complete the bridge course to earn the Level I Certification.